Why Attend a WISP Event?
Women are under-represented in STEM at around ~23% of the core workforce (for details see the latest WISE Report). This can often be isolating and may be one of the factors that leads to women leaving STEM careers at higher rates than their male colleagues.
Click on the tabs below to find out how WISP events are designed to help with this problem via our three aims: to inspire, support and promote women in STEM and STEM jobs to women.
Scroll down for more information on the types of events we run.
- Discover new STEM opportunities for your students or children.
- Discover new STEM job opportunities for yourself!
- Be inspired by local women (and men) with a passion for STEM or gender equality.
- Get ideas to start or develop your own workplace women’s network or support group.
- Learn something new!
- Meet people facing similar career challenges to you and ask their advice.
- Share your wisdom with people who are facing a challenge in their STEM career.
- Share experiences with other women in STEM and our allies.
- Find out how other women deal with inequality in their workplace.
- Find out how to support your female colleagues.
- Learn a new skill or practice one in a friendly environment.
- Spread the word about your fantastic work in STEM!
- Promote your business as an employer of choice for women.
- Bust a stereotype! Show the world (or the Plymouth travel-to-work-area) what women CAN do.
- Gain self-confidence and learn how to promote your work.
Our flagship networking events feature inspirational speakers, have great support from local businesses and allow our members to find out about the fascinating STEM advances which are happening in our area. They are also a platform for outreach with teachers, lecturers and careers advisors, providing insight on what STEM careers involve and the many different pathways to entering STEM industries.
Lunch & Learns
Our Lunch & Learn events are an opportunity to discuss relevant, fun and helpful topics with other Women in STEM Plymouth members. They are generously sponsored by Plymouth Science Park – who provide one of their fantastic meeting rooms. The discussion is facilitated by one of our committee members or an external partner, but these are attendee driven events.
Lunch & Learns are an ideal environment for new members to start their networking journey with Women in STEM Plymouth but are also great opportunities for more seasoned members to ask questions and support our community.
Women in STEM Plymouth recognises the importance of building your network. While sometimes that means listening to fascinating speakers at our networking events, or discussing topics in depth at Lunch & Learns, it can also mean just getting together with other like-minded individuals. Our social programme is designed to give you that opportunity.
- No speakers
- No pressure
- Just good people, sharing an experience
We meet regularly, to have a drink, eat, see a film, or take part in one of the many activities on offer in and around Plymouth – all with other people who value gender equality in science, technology, engineering and maths as highly as you do.